The holidays are not ideal for introducing a pet into your family. New puppies and kittens require extra attention and a stable environment, which the holiday season doesn't permit. Also, a pet is not a toy or gift they can not  be returned. Instead, give a gift representative of the pet to come, such as a toy, a leash, or a bed.

  • Holly, mistletoe, and poinsettia plants are pet poisons. Make sure they are kept in places that are
    out of reach.
  • Review holiday gifts for pets to make sure they are safe. Items such as plastic toys and small rawhide sticks, even too much catnip may be dangerous.
  • Remove holiday lights from lower branches of your tree. They may get very hot and burn. Some may even try to bite them.
  • You may consider tying your tree to the wall. Over the years I have had more than one dog almost knock the tree over or have found the occasional "missing" kitty In the tree.
  • Watch out for electrical cords. Pets often try to chew them and may get badly shocked or electrocuted. Place wires out of reach.
  • Avoid using glass ornaments. They break easily and may cut feet and mouths.
  • Refrain from using edible ornaments. They may knock the tree over in an attempt to eat them. Also, commercial ornaments may contain paint or toxins in the preservatives.
  • Whether your tree is live or artificial, both kinds of needles are sharp and indigestible. Don't leave pets unattended in the room with the tree.
  • Tinsel is dangerous for dogs and cats, it may obstruct circulation and, if swallowed, block the intestines.
  • Alcohol and chocolate are toxic, even in small amounts, keep unhealthy, sweet treats and seasonal goodies out of reach.
  • The holiday season can be a stressful time for pets and us. As much as possible try to keep a normal schedule during all the excitement.
 Just a few tips I hope this helps make your holiday season for people & pets alike,
as fun and uneventful as possible.